How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-23T07:15:04+00:00

    Hi all,

    I'm in Western Australia and just logged into my MS account to try and sort out the same problem.

    IT WORKED !!!

    I turned off my recurring billing and it took me to an option page and there was a clear option to change to the 365 Personal Classic at AUD $109.00

    per year. After doing that a pop up showed with an option to buy, so i clicked BUY and it sent a verification code to my mobile phone.

    After that it said i would not be charged now as my subscription is valid til 27/11/2025.

    Following that i was sent a confirmation email from MS stating the above information.

    It seems that MS have listened to people and hopefully all of you are given the same option now. BTW, i done this on my home PC.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T18:52:15+00:00

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

    Thanks, Gareth. It's good to see some official documentation about this from Microsoft. It's interesting that it says it applies from 16th January 2025, only about a week ago.

    I've just tried this and I still don't see the Classic subscription as an option. It seems that, for me and others, the fix is still to cancel recurring billing, though we will all have to wait till payment is next due to see whether the 'Classic' option really does appear then. If this really is the case, it would be good if it were to be included in Microsoft's documentation page.

    I did learn one excellent piece of news from that page. Again as from 16th January 2025, it is now possible to disable Copilot in at lease some Microsoft applications. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/how-to-turn-off-copilot-in-microsoft-365-family-and-personal-subscriptions-bc7e530b-152d-4123-8e78-edc06f8b85f1.  I've just done this in Word but don't yet see the option in Excel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T03:29:42+00:00

    Wording on my side was cancel subscription. I did not see the words "stop recurring billing" or similar. My subscription ends in May so my "benefits" will last til then. After doing this, I know see the "turn on recurring billing" option. I do not yet see the option to change to "classic".

    That is concerning. According to the info given to Wayne, recurring billing is what is stopping users from seeing the 'classic' option, yet you don't have recurring billing. Well, either way, we will all see whether we get the 'classic' option when payment is next due.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T00:08:30+00:00

    Thanks. Wording on my side was cancel subscription. I did not see the words "stop recurring billing" or similar. My subscription ends in May so my "benefits" will last til then. After doing this, I know see the "turn on recurring billing" option. I do not yet see the option to change to "classic".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments