How to change subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic to opt out of AI and avoid the price increase (in New Zealand)

Anonymous
2025-01-08T20:30:38+00:00

Today, 9th January 2025, I received notification that my Microsoft 365 subscription is to increase from NZ$179 to NZ$229 a year, a 28% increase.  The previous price increase was only notified on 13th March 2024.  I understand that the new increase is to fund the new AI features.  For me, the AI features are counterproductive.  I don't want them.

I've read that I can opt out of the price increase and the AI features by changing my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  I would like to do that, please.  These articles explain how:

https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/you-don-t-have-to-pay-the-microsoft-365-price-increase

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/why-has-there-been-a-50-increasing-the-price-of/682421da-01f1-401a-9806-5e868069476a

I've followed the instructions.  But when I get to the 'Cancel Microsoft 365 Family' page https://account.microsoft.com/services/microsoft365/cancel?fref=billing-cancel, I don't see the 'Choose a plan that's right for you' section with the option to change my subscription plan to Microsoft 365 Classic.  Please advise.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Subscription, account, billing | For home | Other

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-01-22T08:47:55+00:00

This is from the UK, but hopefully will be helpful for those elsewhere

"Downgrade to Microsoft 365 Personal or Microsoft 365 Family Classic

Go to Services & subscriptions. Sign in with the Microsoft account associated with your subscription, if prompted.

  1. Find your current subscription and select Manage > Cancel subscription
  2. To downgrade to another plan with fewer features, select Microsoft 365 Personal Classic or Microsoft 365 Family Classic, or another plan that works for you.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the switch.

Your existing subscription might not change immediately, but it will automatically switch to the new plan at renewal. You will not be charged for the new plan until it renews."

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/switching-to-microsoft-365-personal-and-family-classic-plans-58342e83-38e7-4cda-b63b-88604a8fb7ef

For me standard Microsoft 365 Family (with AI) is cheaper from Amazon & a number of other known name retailers than Family Classic is from Microsoft (the only place you can buy it)

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-08T08:46:38+00:00

    Hi Simon update from Wayne. My termination day is still 4 days away, still can't get the option for Classic, using any of the methods suggested by others. So decided to use the Chat service, as I do not want to lose my account

    Eventually after an hour with the Chat support and getting a supervisor - we finally got there

    I lost the last four days of my current subscription (but they are hopefully sending an email to compensate for the time and frustration and loss of the 4 days)

    To give a summary of some of the issues

    1. Microsoft 365 Personal classic is only available to a customer who has a current subscription for Microsoft 365 Classic
    2. Because Microsoft 365 Personal Classic is not available to the market (only existing subscription holders), new or holders of different subscription plans are probably not going to get anywhere near Classic
    3. The Support person had to cancel my subscription
    4. Informed they had to wait 2 -24 hours to confirm themselves (yes I am talking about the support staff, having to wait) that the system had accepted the change (and they had to call in a supervisor - which suggests there may have been internal locked doors to overcome, including they couldn't get the Classic option to come up on their screens- initially)
    5. Because I cancelled my subscription - in theory I lost any days that the original subscription would have covered (though they will try to compensate me, information on an email arriving some time in future)
    6. Since my current subscription was cancelled and was waiting for acceptance of change, could not access my stuff - because obviously not a subscription holder

    But yes on my Account I am now officially a 365 Personal Classic product holder with a recurring bill arrangement. It was at my old price point (my issue is not the price, but how poorly the new Ai and Copilot features have been forced on us, not to have them at all, is my preference)

    Both my support and supervisor were helpful, polite and determined to get the right outcome. So no problems with them. But i did get the impression they were as frustrated and hitting locked doors (it did take an hour and a supervisor needed to be involved) - just as I had been

    But, it is possible to eventually get there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-23T21:02:12+00:00

    I don't care about the AI either, just switched to the 365 Personal Classic account, will be effective 6/15.

    Can anyone confirm that I will still have the apps for Word, Excel and Outlook, just without the AI? I can't find that info anywhere so far. Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-23T20:55:40+00:00

    Chat could not tell me if the Personal Classic plan would include apps for Word, Excel and Outlook (without AI). Can't find verification of this anywhere online. I want to switch also, saves $30 for a single user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-22T02:21:32+00:00

    This question refers to my post of 19th March. When I was forced to renew my subscription for a month at the inflated rate, I selected monthly billing, not recurring billing. So there was no recurring billing to cancel. I can confirm that I am now on a non-AI annual subscription.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments