A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
About to do the same
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Once upon a time, the Onedrive search feature allowed you to search file contents, as well as file names.
Now it appears that Onedrive only allows you to search file names.
When did this change, and why? Content searches were a very practical feature.
Microsoft will lose users to better services (such as Google Drive) if it continues to make regressive changes like this. Being able to search file contents is a very low bar in 2024.
A Microsoft file hosting and synchronization service.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
About to do the same
I have lost all access to search within onedrive for around a month now. Microsoft has been useless on this issue, and its at the stage now I need to take my business elsewhere. The bigger the company it seems, the worse it is at customer servive, or resolving the basics. I would happily forego CoPilot to be able to search my own files.
I can confirm OneDrive does NOT search file contents.
I just signed into a clean MS account. Went to Onedrive, creates a sign word doc and search for text in the doc finds no results.Tech reporters should tell the world MS dropped content-search. It's absurd to pay for storage that can't search file contents. And worse, my main account can't find any files in search now, nothing. search completely broken and no way to get support for a paid product.
I tried once recently.
It works on me when my drive is not loaded with a lot of documents.
When I have thousands and thousands of documents uploaded, it doesn't work anymore.
Maybe the search is taking so much resources in the server that it limits the functionality of overall performance of it. I don't know.
I hope that if I waited longer, I can view them.
I'll give an update on it.
I can confirm OneDrive does NOT search file contents.
I just signed into a clean MS account. Went to Onedrive, created a single word doc and searched for text in the doc: finds no results.
Tech reporters should tell the world MS dropped content-search. It's absurd to pay for storage that can't search file contents.
And worse, my main account can't find any files in search now, nothing. search completely broken and no way to get support for a paid product.
Almost a year since this problem was identified. They still have not figured out how to solve it for everyone. Customer service was very kind but useless. I already migrated all my files to GDrive (it was a hassle!) and canceled my subscription to Microsoft 365. It's a pitty.