Onedrive shared folders shorcuts is showing as .url on the onedrive folder

Anonymous
2024-06-18T18:07:16+00:00

I am Sharing a folder in personal One Drive with another personal onedrive account. When the other part recieve the link and want to add the shortcut to his account, it creates a .url direct to internet link on the onedrive folder that opens the folder online, i need to open it as a folder file in the onedrive folder localy. How can i fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-05-14T05:05:24+00:00

    From the date of 6/21/24 which this issue was acknowledged to today 5/14/25, it has been 11 months and MSFT still cannot fix it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-04-20T03:51:22+00:00

    This has been going on for weeks! No matter what I do this doesn't get fixed, I have installed and uninstalled OneDrive many times now. Come on Microsoft!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-04-13T05:25:10+00:00

    DROPBOX is the solution...after being without data for a month and seeing only a .url link to onedrive, I migrate my data to dropbox which is reliable

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-04-09T07:43:36+00:00

    I’ve been experiencing this issue with my family subscription since January 2025, and it’s causing additional inconvenience when trying to share files within the family. After searching online, I came across this thread.

    It seems that this issue is affecting a significant number of users.

    As a temporary workaround, we had to set up Google Drive for file sharing and sync it with our OneDrive folder. Google Drive works flawlessly, and it's honestly disappointing that such a basic feature isn’t functioning properly in OneDrive in 2025. I understand that AI and other advanced technologies are a top priority for many companies these days, but let’s not forget that a family subscription is a paid service.

    I see three possible paths forward:

    1. Microsoft Support provides a clear timeline for fixing the issue and meeting user expectations.
    2. We migrate entirely to the Google ecosystem, which delivers flawless work for basic functionality.
    3. We consult a lawyer about the situation and consider further escalation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-03-29T09:36:48+00:00

    I was assured they know about the issue. however I do not think personal accounts are a priority for them. I have had this issue for over 1/2year now

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments