Onedrive shared folders shorcuts is showing as .url on the onedrive folder

Anonymous
2024-06-18T18:07:16+00:00

I am Sharing a folder in personal One Drive with another personal onedrive account. When the other part recieve the link and want to add the shortcut to his account, it creates a .url direct to internet link on the onedrive folder that opens the folder online, i need to open it as a folder file in the onedrive folder localy. How can i fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T07:38:15+00:00

    After a support ticket on this issue, i was assured that this is an issue they know about and are working on.

    However no time estimate for a fix was given.

    Issue

    Some OneDrive shared folders shortcuts located in your My Files folder may show up as .url internet shortcuts instead of actual folders.

    If you try to open the folder shortcut, it opens as a webpage (and you may be asked to sign in) instead of a folder.

    Status

    We are aware of the issue and are working on resolving it. The .url internet shortcuts will automatically convert back to a folder when the issue is resolved. 

    You can still access the shared folder content, but it will be via OneDrive.com

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-and-sync-shared-folders-to-onedrive-for-home-8a63cd47-1526-4cd8-bd09-ee3f9bfc1504#bkmk_shortcuts

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-11-27T09:26:07+00:00

    I found a way that works! (at least worked for me)

    Share folder on onedrive web and then the other person on onedrive web accept and adds it to "my files" as usual.

    The key different here is the first time to open the folder on desktop has to be on a windows 10. (I know, too much work and st*pid we have to do this in the first place)

    After that, on the onedrive windows 11 desktop it opens on file explorer and not as a link.

    My guess is that this is on purpose to force users to use onedrive and office apps online.

    If it was a bug, I am sure that a trillion $ company already had find a fix for this.

    Hope it works for you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-11-16T19:49:19+00:00

    No answer from a member of Microsoft Team yet?

    I'm with this problem since April 2024. They closed my ticket with the "workaround" of using the web version.

    Creating another account works but I can't do this.

    Are you really working on it or is it a low priority in your backlog that goes to 2025 planning?

    I never had this problem with Google. I migrated to Microsoft because of the "MS Office" but I'm exploring other solutions now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-09-30T11:05:08+00:00

    Any updates on a fix? I've had this issue for around 6 months now and its a real inconvenience.

    Microsoft have gone real quiet on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-09-15T10:06:36+00:00

    Still not working, when will it be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments