I can't sync or download a shared folder in OneDrive

Anonymous
2024-06-13T12:31:20+00:00

This just randomly started happening a few days ago and I can't figure out why. I previously had a shared folder synced to my computer from OneDrive and then suddenly it disappeared from my file explorer. I looked at the shared folder to see if I have "can edit" capabilities and I do but the only options that show are to add a shortcut to the folder or to download. However if I click download nothing happens. When I add the link, it opens the web version of OneDrive and not the offline folder that I need.

My OneDrive web also doesn't have a sync button at the top of the page or in the settings drop down menu.

I've tried unlinking and relinking the account. I've tried restarting the computer. I've tried logging out and then back in. I've tried uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it. I've made sure it's the latest version. I'm running Windows 10/11. I've tried creating a completely different account. I've tried adding the account to the upgraded family subscription version. I've tried reaching out to Microsoft support for help twice. Can someone please tell me what to do?

***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / OneDrive / For business / Windows***

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-07-15T10:10:08+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-15T03:32:02+00:00

    After weeks of research on this subject it seems that Microsoft intentionally cancelled the shared folder syncing feature for personal OneDrive accounts (or is in the process of rolling out since not all are affected yet). For me it had become very clear that the move is to force people to migrate to the business plan instead. If you try to find a solution directly from Microsoft you will run into "This feature is not available for Personal OneDrive, only for business or work school education accounts" which wasn't the case in the past.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-07-05T04:31:26+00:00

    Yeah, I've had this issue for about a month. Most of my work is remote and relies on being able to access and edit shared cloud folders and their contents.

    Basically productivity all but gone, and no eta or communication by Microsoft at all. Absolutely disgusting, such a massive impact and they won't give any info..

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-07-01T12:06:32+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-06-27T10:58:23+00:00

    Since June/14 we're still with no updates in this issue.

    I'm pretty sure that MS will leave this in this way. Which is pretty sad and most important, very unfair and disrespectful with us costumers.

    Me and a lot of colleagues are using at this time Google Drive for our needs of shared files, and guess what, Google spreadsheets are by far better than excel when you talk about shared files.

    If you want just to keep files online, I judge that it's ok keep onedrive for now.

    But if you need share your files, take my advice, move to google drive (MS owns Dropbox and charges a lot more )

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments