I can't sync or download a shared folder in OneDrive

Anonymous
2024-06-13T12:31:20+00:00

This just randomly started happening a few days ago and I can't figure out why. I previously had a shared folder synced to my computer from OneDrive and then suddenly it disappeared from my file explorer. I looked at the shared folder to see if I have "can edit" capabilities and I do but the only options that show are to add a shortcut to the folder or to download. However if I click download nothing happens. When I add the link, it opens the web version of OneDrive and not the offline folder that I need.

My OneDrive web also doesn't have a sync button at the top of the page or in the settings drop down menu.

I've tried unlinking and relinking the account. I've tried restarting the computer. I've tried logging out and then back in. I've tried uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it. I've made sure it's the latest version. I'm running Windows 10/11. I've tried creating a completely different account. I've tried adding the account to the upgraded family subscription version. I've tried reaching out to Microsoft support for help twice. Can someone please tell me what to do?

***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / OneDrive / For business / Windows***

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T12:11:02+00:00

    Yes, I have the same issue and have spent hours trying to fix it.

    Come on Microsoft, let's get an answer on how to resolve this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-03T07:08:00+00:00

    Dear Chandy,

    I appreciate you are monitoring multiple threads like this, so I thought it would be easiest to reply in multiple places.

    Can you provide an update on this? The same issue has now affected my account, and I see that it has continued to affect other users since your last update in June through to today - that is, over 8 months.

    I understand that an update had been developed for internal use only in June. Can you provide an update on the progress of this? What is the timeline for this to be fixed? A few days, a week, another 8 months?

    Regards,

    Ben

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-01T09:35:18+00:00

    I have the same issue (folders turned into shortcut), but on top of that onedrive is not loading in my browser. In other words, I have no way to access those folders at the moment, and the folders that are left on my computer ('-Windows') added are all empty. What to do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-26T14:22:04+00:00

    Some people I support with some IT stuff experience this same issue 100% with personal paid accounts:

    • shared folders are converted into shortcuts and locally removed
    • duplicate folders are created in local OneDrive with the same name, followed by "- [My Computer Name]"

    Reading this forum thread and various others (this MS community, reddit, etc.) makes it clear something really bad is happening within the MS software. The increased activity here since February 19/20 maybe indicates something happened then?

    @Microsoft: please fix this for all customers. The ones who are mentioning it here are just the tip of the iceberg. I think the issue impact thousands and even more paying customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T20:42:08+00:00

    Hey Microsoft. Are you guys going to attempt to pull your pants up and give us an answer? It's coming up on a whole year now and you guys have said nothing, zilch, nada, on a trivial issue a beginner programmer probably could have solved in a couple of days. Do you actually know how to solve problems or is your company going down the drain as you continue to shove adware down our throats? You're getting billions of dollars from us customers down here trying to make a living and we have to put up with managers screaming at us over their files not being on their computers. Only the whole world relies on your garbage to work. At least pay attention to things that have this big of an impact on our usage of your product.

    2,130 views. Lets see if anyone is paying attention and I actually get a response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments