I can't sync or download a shared folder in OneDrive

Anonymous
2024-06-13T12:31:20+00:00

This just randomly started happening a few days ago and I can't figure out why. I previously had a shared folder synced to my computer from OneDrive and then suddenly it disappeared from my file explorer. I looked at the shared folder to see if I have "can edit" capabilities and I do but the only options that show are to add a shortcut to the folder or to download. However if I click download nothing happens. When I add the link, it opens the web version of OneDrive and not the offline folder that I need.

My OneDrive web also doesn't have a sync button at the top of the page or in the settings drop down menu.

I've tried unlinking and relinking the account. I've tried restarting the computer. I've tried logging out and then back in. I've tried uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it. I've made sure it's the latest version. I'm running Windows 10/11. I've tried creating a completely different account. I've tried adding the account to the upgraded family subscription version. I've tried reaching out to Microsoft support for help twice. Can someone please tell me what to do?

***Moved from Microsoft 365 and Office / OneDrive / For business / Windows***

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | Other | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2025-06-20T20:17:54+00:00

    Same for me. Interestingly one of the shared folders has a different name on Onedrive accounts the folder is shared to (i.e. the name plus a number "LEORA-001457").

    I think this occurred when I was trying some workarounds previously, but the aftereffects remain. Unsurprisingly, the obvious ways to rename this don't work, but I'd be curious to know if there is another way too fix this, short of resharing the folder. Resharing the folder would probably go fine, but I am loathe to try that because the last time I tried it (in an early attempt to fix the problem) it reset all the "cloud only settings" and filled up my local HD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-06-20T19:41:14+00:00

    It's over a year after the original post and this is still an issue. We just had to scramble because the files we need weren't on any of the PCs in the house and could not be used without manually downloading them from the web client.

    What in the heck made some middle manager think this was acceptable? This is the kind of **** that makes me seriously consider dropping OneDrive altogether. It has ONE JOB, and leaving my wife helpless before a meeting with attorneys is NOT it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-05-12T08:21:55+00:00

    Same for me - since today the folders are functional again. Still a hyperlink-symbol hovers on the folder symbol, but the folder is locally accessible.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-05-11T18:46:47+00:00

    WOW! I confirm that it started working properly again for me as well a few days ago!

    Three other computers in different countries with whom I shared my folders got them synced back to their local OneDrive folders!

    In my case, I did nothing - it just started working properly, exactly as MS was promising (surprisingly)! Those URL-refs to the shared folders became locally synced folders again!

    Maybe make sure that OneDrive on your PC and on your peers’ PCs is updated to the most recent version, and wait a bit. I believe MS has started rolling out the fix globally, so it should get fixed on its own soon for everyone as well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2025-05-09T18:50:22+00:00

    There is a solution For Mac?? I have that problem on 3 macs (2 different follerà) and one Windows…

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments