Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-10T00:11:15+00:00

    My associate and I just got hit with the same issue a few days ago.

    This is unacceptable after 8 months there is still no solution.

    It makes OneDrive unusable for us. Very disappointing since we just migrated files from Dropbox to One Drive a year ago.

    Any recommendations for other file sharing platforms? Dropbox? Google Drive? Proton Drive? Someone else mentioned Raidrive so I'm looking into that. Any others I should check out?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-10T05:38:11+00:00

    This is doing my head in. I first got hit by it a couple of weeks ago. I noticed it on my wife's OneDrive where we share a common folder structure. It has really caused a lot of issues as we have many files and folders that are linked in applications and shortcuts.

    It appeared as a sync issue with the "Shared" folder locally on her PC being renamed as "Shared-1" and Shared being added as a URL file.

    Of course, initially I went down the rabbit hole of trying to fix it, and then came across these reports.

    I have had to move most of these files and folders to a private Synology NAS and use Synology Drive to accommodate the use-cases we have.

    I can't belie that Microsoft have let this go on so long without resolution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-10T05:49:39+00:00

    +1 Dealing with very unhappy users the last few days trying to explain this issue

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-10T05:58:12+00:00

    I was hit with this problem on the weekend and I moved all my files to iCloud Drive. But, the problem with Word, Excel etc now is it won't autosave because the files are not in OneDrive.

    So I'm currently testing with a sync-ing software to keep my iCloud Drive and OneDrive folders synced and continue to edit my files in OneDrive, and it gets sync-ed to iCloud and sync-ed to other iCloud shared folders users and sync to their OneDrive.

    Interestingly, one day after I moved all my files out of OneDrive, a survey from OneDrive popped up asking how likely it is that I will recommend OneDrive to family and friends.

    No prize for what my answer was!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments