Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T07:44:28+00:00

    Having also experienced this issue since 2024, Microsoft has still not taken any action to solve it. It makes me wonder if they are planning to introduce a "new" shared folder feature that will require a subscription and cost more. I'm starting to think migrating to Google Drive might be a good solution. Has anyone here switched from a Microsoft Family plan to Google Drive? If so, is it a good alternative, and what are the downsides? I am currently exploring other options and seriously considering leaving Microsoft, as their lack of response to this issue is incredibly frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T08:09:28+00:00

    Having also experienced this issue since 2024, Microsoft has still not taken any action to solve it. It makes me wonder if they are planning to introduce a "new" shared folder feature that will require a subscription and cost more. I'm starting to think migrating to Google Drive might be a good solution. Has anyone here switched from a Microsoft Family plan to Google Drive? If so, is it a good alternative, and what are the downsides? I am currently exploring other options and seriously considering leaving Microsoft, as their lack of response to this issue is incredibly frustrating.

    Online storage space is much cheaper at Microsoft than at Google. Microsoft's family plan is by far the cheapest way to have a total of 6 Tb of space. As a reference, until recently I was paying for 5 TB online storage for about €15 per month. If you compare the annual cost, Microsoft is cheaper and easier to use...when it works.

    With the Microsoft plan you have Office suite, with Google you have to use Google Docs. Personally, and I have both, I use Google Docs for everything. I have Microsoft for compatibility with my office colleagues. But I use a lot of related spreadsheets and find it much more comfortable in Google than in Microsoft. For example: a Google Sheet has a unique ID, whatever you call it, you can change the name and it's still the same ID. So referring to it may seem less intuitive, but it is easier to use. I can launch a query to another sheet, or do an import to an intermediate sheet and share data from it to the final sheet so that the user never has unrestricted access to the source data. I don't know if it can be done the same in Microsoft Office, but I found it much easier in Google Docs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T08:24:27+00:00

    I have then same problem! And it makes Onedrive useless to us.

    Microsoft should imburse every user of onedrive fully for this. No cost for onedrive or 50% off on Microsoft 365 family. It would be no more than reasonable.

    Eric

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-06T08:24:31+00:00

    Thank you for the information! I haven't used Google Sheets before, but it sounds like it's worth exploring. Your feedback is helpful, and I'm going to try Google to test it out. While I'm waiting to see if Microsoft resolves this issue, my subscription doesn't expire for a couple of months, which gives me time to decide whether or not to cancel my Microsoft service. Thanks again for your help!

    @MicrosoftHurrySolveIt!!!!!. T_T

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments