Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T19:13:12+00:00

    The question i have, is which is really the new one. Because I've created new accounts as well, that were later changed to the one that's missing the "Search" option after the fact.
    So it seems even a newly opened account may be opened on the "old" platform, and be migrated later causing the issue to reoccur until both accounts are migrated.

    What country are you in as from previous posts it seems it is variable based on where in the world you are. The one with search is the "new" platform from what I've tried in the United States. I've opened quite a few new ones and they are all on the "new" platform and have stayed on the "new" platform for over 24 hours now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T19:16:42+00:00

    same issue for me on my Macbook Pro with 15.3.1.
    I have Microsoft 365 family and use OneDrive (home version) as part of it.

    Suddenly two folders are visible as links only (see below)

    Image

    but they are not visible and therefore not selectable for Sync in OneDrive App/Properties/Account/Select FolderImage

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T19:32:54+00:00

    I currently have 3 accounts using the same shared folder with my 365 Family subscription. I can confirm the only account experiencing this issue is the one with the more modern looking share dialog, the one with the settings wheel button at the top-right corner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T19:38:52+00:00

    How did you copy the files from one account to another? I tried to do that via web interface, so I'd not have to use my bandwidth to transfer 700 GB of files, then another 300 something later, but the system won't allow me to do that when I select the destination to copy.

    I did a quick search and I read it's "by design" not allowed.

    Also, there was a folder that was shared with me and working fine until a couple of hours ago.

    Nothing changed but the folder turned into a pumpkin link. My main account is the "new" type with search. I assume the account that shared that data with me was also new because it was working until this afternoon.

    I wonder if they're going to require us to only access those files manually via web interface, so they get more web traffic on their site while also making us use much less resources as we're forced to do things at a very slow pace.

    I don't think they're incompetent to the point of letting something like this happen accidentally. To me it sounds like intentional inconvenience to force people who can afford to pay 10 dollars more, per month, to get an extra TB, or even 50 for their 5 TB package.

    Even if they get one out every 3 customers to upgrade while causing a headache for everybody else and losing a third of their users they'll profit in the end.

    Intentional enshitification or incompetence? Vote below.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments