Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T17:43:41+00:00

    the only way is create a new account and create shotcuts again ,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T17:47:43+00:00

    This seems pointless.

    Not only Onedrive turned shared folders to links, it completly WIPED OUT all the data from disk on family member account computer, where Files on Demand option was turned off and all files were synced.

    This is some pathetic joke.

    Yes. I had about 1 TB of data gone without warning or a chance to make a copy.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T17:58:52+00:00

    That's fantastic! I thought about trying creating a new account yesterday but I was exhausted. I will give it a try now, if you tested and the new accounts become part of the "new" group.

    Owning domains mean I can easily create new addresses.

    Thanks!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T18:35:36+00:00

    The question i have, is which is really the new one. Because I've created new accounts as well, that were later changed to the one that's missing the "Search" option after the fact.
    So it seems even a newly opened account may be opened on the "old" platform, and be migrated later causing the issue to reoccur until both accounts are migrated.
    Microsoft could have really come out and give a little bit of info on this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments