Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T15:17:29+00:00

    Do you think a billion dollar company like Microsoft with thousands of programmers can't fix its own bug?

    The only thing you can do is create a network drive so that you don't have to edit your data online. The disadvantage is that only one person can edit a file at a time, never simultaneously.

    The following link explains how to do this:

    OneDrive Freigegebener Ordner wird im Explorer nur noch als - Microsoft Community

    Furthermore, you can complain on 19.03.2025 16:00 CET:

    Microsoft Virtual Events Powered by Teams

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T15:50:00+00:00

    This did not work. After clicking "Add shortcut to My Files", the folder shortcut is added as a Folder Type = "Internet Shortcut", not Type = "File folder" as it was prior to the horrible onedrive update.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T16:09:50+00:00

    Well, I've managed to find a temporal solution to this terrible problem. I'm no technician, so this may or may not work for you.

    The thing is that there is something about the link that, in some point, it corrupts. So the solution I've found is the following:

    1. Break the actual link. Unshare it with all the accounts affected.
    2. Log into the web app of one drive in each account and erase the "folder-DESKTOP-NUMBER" that is created when this error occurs. Wait until it stabilizes. It's better if you restart the pc affected. If the account is logged in other PC's, you will have to do this with everyone. I suggest to make this with all the PC's affected on, so you will have to do this only once, if not, the "folder-DESKTOP-NUMBER" will be created every time you log in a new PC with your affected account in it.
    3. Share it again as if it's a new account, as always.
    4. In your affected acount, go to "shared" and create a quick acces to your "main files", as always.
    5. As soon as you do it, your one drive app will sincronize as if nothing happened.

    Hope this will work for everyone until Microsoft fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T16:18:11+00:00

    Which Recycle Bin do you refer to?

    On Local computer? Sorry, this is the first thing I'm disabling on fresh Windows installation.

    On Family Member Onedrive? It's empty...

    We are talking about 200K + files (mostly photos) about 300GB. YES, they are still in cloud and I can't sync them with client. It's gonna be a long night.

    I guess, Microsoft is rolling out the Copilot OneDrive update, this is he last place I haven't seen that stupid icon yet.

    Sigh.

    Windows Recycle Bin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments