Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T23:42:01+00:00

    Thanks All,

    I have also been stick on this problem for some time glad there is at least a valid reason for why this is occurring.

    I have started some work on trying to understand how the account "search" or "no search" occurs but have not had much luck

    I noted the following:

    My Main @live.com.au Has search functions

    My Secondary @live.com.au does not have search function

    I created a new outlook.com which Has search function

    My Older outlook.com which Has search function

    My google workspace account does not have search

    My Hotmail address does not have search

    Is anyone else seeing some sort of trend? Originally was wondering if it was based on the email address type however doesn't seem to be the case with lines 1 and 2. As with everyone else this change is weird and utterly annoying...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T01:13:22+00:00

    Not that it will help, as Ahmed Ben Slimane noted the issue is known. But to answer your question:

    From this page:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot-issues-with-onedrive-3db87243-ed3b-46f5-ace6-518db68429b1

    It says:

    For technical support, go to Contact Microsoft Support, enter your problem and select Get Help. If you still need help, select Contact Support to be routed to the best support option.

    Select that link. Enter your issue, I assume something like:

    Issue with OneDrive Desktop App - Shared Folders Became Web Links

    Ignore the recommended solution "Check ink levels and order replacement ink for a printer" (LOL!!). But you can check out the 3 options under "More help" which are all from poor saps like us who have this issue but with no resolution.

    Select the "Contact Support", fill out the forms, then 3 days later you will get your first and only feedback from Microsoft saying that your case has been closed. You then select the feedback and rant about how disappointed you are with the support process and the issue in general.

    Hope this helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T02:44:18+00:00

    Yes, their support tells us to use "feedback" on the top right corner somewhere.

    I already did it. No result either, obviously, or we'd not be here.

    News, problem persists after 2 days re-synchronizing. So, unlinking and relinking does NOT work.

    I am curious, is anybody here with the issue NOT using more than 1 TB if you add up your own space plus the shared folders you're trying to synchronize?

    I have a shared folder that I have access to normally, but the large ones I really want were replaced with shortcuts in spite of the fact my local drive has 2 TB (I bought a large drive exactly because they stopped supporting symbolic links and junctions a year or two ago, and broke my sync back then).

    I wonder if they're doing that to constrain our total usage to 1 TB to force us to pay extra, since adding storage multiply our monthly cost instead of adding a small percentage.

    It's funny that, before ending sync, the app was still showing the folders as selectable and showing their sizes. When it finally came time for it to re-sync and re-download the deleted files/folders, it just placed those same 3 shortcuts I got after the bug started.

    Creating a new folder and sharing it, even if empty, didn't work either. Still a shortcut.

    Can we be hopeful the issue will be solved in a timely manner or are we doomed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-05T02:49:58+00:00

    Still no answer to fix this issu MS??!! The biggest company in the world?!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments