Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T19:44:11+00:00

    I now have this issue, it started Monday March 3rd for me. Looks like they are not fixing the problem but now it is starting to spread. Please let me know if you find a solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T20:10:32+00:00

    Having this issue as well. I can't believe some people have been dealing with this for months. I'm going crazy and it has only been 48 hours.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T21:19:05+00:00

    In case it is helpful, I have all of the issues described between two accounts in the same family subscription that mutually share folders

    One account currently has the 'search' option (=upgraded?) showing in the online portal , the other does not

    The one with the search option last week had shared folders from the other spontaneously turn to internet shortcuts (causing chaos), but by un-linking and re-linking the account they turned back to folders and have remained so since.

    The account without the search option has only internet shortcuts from the other account no matter what I do.

    From what everyone has very helpfully said, it seems the only fix is to wait until every online account (nothing to do with the desktop app version) is 'upgraded' to the same level and try again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-04T21:32:40+00:00

    My Main account has 'Search' at the bottom of the menu on the OneDrive > Settings > Options screen. My Second OneDrive account also has 'Search' at the bottom of the menu. My third OneDrive account does not have 'Search' in the menu.

    https://onedrive.live.com/options

    Image Imagehttps://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/b38fd2c5-e366-490a-9862-975d86a028be?platform=QnA
    Any folders shared from my Second to my Main account appear as folders on my PC.

    Any folders shared from my Third to my Main account appear as shortcut links instead of folders on my PC.

    I tried upgrading the storage on my Third account (200 GB) to see if this changed the online OneDrive to the version with 'Search' in the Options menu. However this made no difference, and the shared folders remained as URL shortcuts on my PC. I was able to cancel the upgrade, and will receive full refund.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments