Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:31:24+00:00

    Quote "I wonder if it's somehow related to having being logged in on windows with the same account as one drive, or having synchronization completely finished before sharing a link, but maybe someone from support will explore those."

    That's a very good point maybe it's related to using a local account vs a microsoft account.

    My scenario is I have a family subscription which I have added family members

    Family Member 1 shared in as folder

    Family Member 2 shared in as folder

    *****@hotmail.co.uk shared in as folder

    *****@hotmail.com shared in as folder

    *****@outlook.com now corrupted to a link

    On at least one of the machines on which the shared outlook.com folder has been corrupted to a link I get an enless loop when the browser tries to open the page, therfore the link is as useless as the proverbial chocolate tea pot!

    The button to "add the folder to as a shortcut to my files" has always as far as I can remember said that in the hover tool tip, so I don't think that has changed.

    There are admissions from Microsoft that this is a bug and will be fixed, but when this has been going on for at least 7 months that I know about, look at the date of the original post 19th June 2024

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:46:03+00:00

    Hello, same for me ! waiting for a fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:51:00+00:00

    bump!

    worked a few days ago, then weird things happend and now the symbol is internet shortcut only.

    f... annnoying,.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T09:08:46+00:00

    February 2025, more workstations are experiencing this issue! shared folders are now web links! Please fix this Microsoft!!! This has been going on since July 2024. Even recently created onedrive accounts that were given access to certain files/folders are now also affected. Only the author/owner account of the folder has a local copy. This is really frustrating! excel and vba hyperlinks are now useless!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments