Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:00:50+00:00

    Dear Microsoft Support Team,

    I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to report an issue with my OneDrive account. Recently, one of my folders, which was previously functioning normally, has unexpectedly turned into an internet shortcut. This has prevented me from accessing the files within the folder as intended.

    Could you please assist me in resolving this issue? I’d like to understand why this happened and how I can restore the folder to its original state. For reference, I am using Windows 11 and accessing OneDrive through desktop app. If additional details are needed, such as my account information or screenshots, please let me know, and I’ll be happy to provide them.

    Thank you in advance for your help. I look forward to your guidance on how to fix this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:06:40+00:00

    Hello, Christoph Stuetz.

    Welcome to the Microsoft community.

    Thank you very much for explaining the problem.

    What I want to explain to you is that the problem of OneDrive shared folders showing up as "direct internet access" that you described above is a hot issue that has occurred recently. We have received feedback from users from all over the world who have encountered this issue. The problem is still under investigation and correction. The OneDrive development team apologizes for any inconvenience this issue may cause.

    More information about this issue is described in the support article <Add and sync shared folders to OneDrive for home - Microsoft Support>

    https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/a6892c34-59d6-403f-b529-f89ee7b43c5e?platform=QnA&fud_access=hC1SxZhn7m%2FZQJkOIiOVstu10yTQgXS4A%2FDBzZTg8nbaCgIogkrcDydMeI5Y4za2dOqDdWtsG2JNS3E35V60i9TiGHR7STMpJHheeXuDvO8nwjUlqCBHhJ0NDvuYN7OSbqx14ocCqbcTxr3gfcsxbbjdCRgqg82Bgc7w8q4y4CmrQuIMuutdgQ%2BPmFTyDVsdAo%2BB7y2dAmZEfGN6aBvTy8UA8Y6NCu2Y57Sioh5Im%2BBNZZiofAcdZGZC6sa9ylUVS6heRddFDWKUPYJErRXTs3VhQt2j5vqoH2zUtUyw1B0Q0o0UrtonT7YK5LC5jR%2BsVMi5bmW8WW5l2dNMTMZXTfsRe%2FME3%2BeUU6XK6LB4MIJ5dwQ7B4qHX9vPEX6QMQvhvvsXaG%2BCbf4N80AgNgFu3%2BFLD%2FOlD2anmkOOSrn7yc8%3D

    Since the Microsoft community is just a community for technical discussions, I can't attend to development-related content, but I'll continue to monitor the issue for you in this answer thread and share the latest progress on the issue with you as soon as possible.

    At the same time, I found the last channel of users to send reports and feedback on this issue, which was opened by the OneDrive team

    To send feedback, you can provide feedback at the following link: OneDrive · Community (microsoft.com)

    You can also open the OneDrive mobile app, shake it, and click Report to send it. You can take a screenshot of the issue you're experiencing and provide a detailed description to the OneDrive engineering team (or send feedback about the issue via the OneDrive link (live.com)English only

         [![](https://learn-attachment.microsoft.com/api/attachments/cd3500fe-5928-4893-8523-d9d794425f52?platform=QnA "filestore.community.support.microsoft.com")
    

    Thus, they can bring together the different manifestations of the problem faced in order to fully understand the full picture of the problem and provide a more complete solution. We apologize again for any inconvenience this issue has caused

    ▲ I will continue to follow up on the issue for you in this response thread and share the latest progress on the issue with you as soon as possible. While you wait for the fix, you can alternatively visit OneDrive for the web temporarily.

    Thank you very much for your🙂 understanding

    Best regards

    Hannah.Z- MSFT |Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:11:29+00:00

    same problem here

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T08:24:45+00:00

    I did face the same issue.

    I couldn't un-share the folder as well even though the job was completed, and I didn't want to share that folder anymore. Now someone else can access my folder while I don't want to share but I cannot do anything. It's terrible. No official announcement or warning was sent to me.

    Please let me know exactly WHEN THIS ISSUE WILL BE SOLVED. I AM REALLY, REALLY DISAPPOINTED.

    Thinking about moving to Dropbox or Box these days. Not too expensive than Onedrive. One week for now then move.

    I think the problem you mentioned is not the same as the problem of this topic, the problem of this topic is that the shared folder on ondrive in explorer is converted to a link and must be opened on the web to use, it cannot be edited directly on windows. As for your problem, the sharing lock can be reset in the folder or file access management section on ondrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments