Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T05:36:17+00:00

    I have several computers including destop PC, Lenove Thinkbook and YogaDuet. All their onedrive sharefolders affected are now shortcuts. It is apparently an issue of Microsoft side.

    The issue reoccurred yesterday to several users, all of whom were Lenovo users with AMD CPUs. Is there any connection?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T06:08:28+00:00

    I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. From last week on these shared folders are replaced with internet shortcuts. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, nothing changed. same behavior on Windows and two MAC PC with different OneDrive Versions installed. Please help me resolve this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T06:21:14+00:00

    I'm not sure it's a bug anymore but a change because it's happened to me this morning and when I went in to onedrive online then clicked on shared and tried to re-add the folder to my files, it only gives you the option to add a shortcut which was never even an option before, it used to say add folder to your files. Checked on google and it claims onedrive is moving over to shortcuts to save space!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-25T06:52:23+00:00

    Has this been resolved ?
    It used to work fine on my Mac, until I had to log into a different microsoft account last week, and since I've logged back into my microsoft account, the folder had disappeared. After a full reset of the dropbox and re-adding the link to shared folder, it now only shows up as a url.

    Can't really work like this , might have to move everything to iCloud or dropbox if not resolved, so please an update asap. Thank you !

    Not resolved. Real pain to be working like this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments