Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T21:58:10+00:00

    Has this been resolved ?
    It used to work fine on my Mac, until I had to log into a different microsoft account last week, and since I've logged back into my microsoft account, the folder had disappeared. After a full reset of the dropbox and re-adding the link to shared folder, it now only shows up as a url.

    Can't really work like this , might have to move everything to iCloud or dropbox if not resolved, so please an update asap. Thank you !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T22:14:50+00:00

    Same issue here. I have (had?) multiple shared folders, shared from different accounts.

    The interesting thing is that this "issue" started with a first one something like 6 months ago, with shared folder being converted to a link. Then the same behaviour started to affect, after few months, also another of the shared folders and now, February 2025, they ALL appear as links.

    The suggestion of using webapp of Onedrive instead of the local client is not good either, as it is correct that you can see the shared folders properly, but I cannot move or copy files to and from those folders! So they look like isolated silos.

    I don't exactly know which is the purpose of this (segregation? Security? Kill the shared/teams folders from O365 personal accounts?) but it does seem like a feature or deliberated design choice more than a simple bug.

    I've opened several cases, and the support does not seem to understand the issue or knowing what is going (or pretend not to know or understand) so I've basically given up.

    In May my subscription will expire and I am afraid that the only solution will be to move to a different cloud provider.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T22:32:23+00:00

    The problem is here again. Shared folders in OneDrive have now somehow been set by Microsoft to be forced to be opened in browser mode only (and not in file explorer). This has a lot of catastrophic consequences here (because of backend software dependencies and a Windows PATH variable that does not understand browser paths). Ironically, the browser cannot display the folder content either as there appears to be some indefinite loop in the software which makes browser content flash between "This folder is empty" and "User migrated".

    Help!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T23:12:32+00:00

    I currently utilize a 35 computer network with the OneDrive system. Last summer we encountered the same issue. The only fix that I found were to perform a computer reset. It's painful! All my data was restored from my OneDrive. Unfortunately, we have 5 more this year which includes one that was reset last June. The fact that it can be fixed through a reset tells me that it may be in the upgrades. I have chosen to temporally suspend my upgrades after completing the reset on all systems but one for now to see if this problem stops.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments