Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T19:37:25+00:00

    If someone just commented, Microsoft does not have an 800 number you can call about this issue all numbers that are listed on the web when you search for it are scammers they will only steal your money and break your machine and install software so they have remote access to it indefinitely And require you to have to completely reload your computer. Change all your passwords and change your banking credit cards the only way to reach Microsoft is through on of 365 application by clicking the help button and opening a case through that there is no other way to reach Microsoft. I generally use Word because that is the easiest one to find out in, but they will tell you exactly the instructions I’ve given four times in the past three days. I’ve also listed reasons it does not work that have to be done also computer and Microsoft office must be fully updated. Office does not update with windows if you go to the account page in Word you will see a button to update 365

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T19:48:06+00:00

    Yesterday I started using OneDrive and when I want to access a shared folder through the shortcut created in my OneDrive folder, instead of opening the folder in the file explorer, as it has always happened, it takes me to my browser.

    It really bothers me, because in that shared folder there is almost 1GB of data, much of it including scripts that need to be run from the computer directly.

    It happened a month ago with my father's live.com account,
    and today it happened with my mother's live.com account.
    I created a new outlook.com user, and the problem is gone!! This is not a solution!!
    But will it happen in the future??

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T19:54:56+00:00

    Hi there - I also had the issue appear late last week, potentially related to a security patch. Do you know which security patch you uninstalled which then caused the issue to go away?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T20:49:01+00:00

    Today there is a new issue. I have an affected account which means in the online view the folder does not show the total size. Now I created a new account for this user. Stangely after 2-3 days the onedrive application is showing shortcuts while the 'view online' option is still showing the total size. I tried reinstalled onedrive and even reverying back to win11 23h2 but it keeps showing shortcuts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments