Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:27:07+00:00

    Sorry but can I have some more information on some of your steps please


    You must create a new folder in the OneDrive that’s being shared. Wait till you can see it on the web version of OneDrive and then set your permissions set read right on the folder by itself.

    I assume you are looking at the "View Online" for the owners OneDrive ?

    Are you setting read/Write permissions File Explorer on the sharing host ie: The shares owner ?


    In about 10 minutes, you should be able to see this folder on the second computer.

    How can this be true if the new folder has not been shared with anyone yet ?

    If its just you missed this step then did you share from File Explorer or the Online Page ?

    Did you share to specific people only ?


    Does the person sharing the file have to go to "View Online" and then select "Add Shortcut to My Files" aka the MS documentation


    Click download to folder reboot the computer at this point, and it will come

    I dont understand "Click download to folder" ? Please explain.


    I know its a big ask but this issue has persisted for 9 months so if you can screen shot the steps then I am sure many would be grateful. As you are happy your fix works then I would dearly love to replicate it. So far no luck

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:29:07+00:00

    When will this issue be fixed?

    It has been manifesting itself for OVER SIX months now...

    /Mike Williams

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:29:59+00:00

    When will this be fixed?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:38:55+00:00

    This is happening to me as well. Are there any updates on this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments