Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T02:52:56+00:00

    I had the same issue. I seem to have fixed this morning by uninstalled the last Windows Security installed last week.

    I had to delete then readd the sahred folder link into My Files on OneDrive online but it is now showing as a File Folder not internet shortcut in Windows Explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T03:25:50+00:00

    The only fix i found is by making an new account and sharing it to the original file folder account. if you wanna fix the said account you need to contact the support group.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T06:22:17+00:00

    Is there any update to this issue? My shared folders also turned into links today. It's frustrating given the important information in the folders.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T07:22:23+00:00

    Thanks for the instruction. If I understand you correctly, this is a fix to get (new) shared folders to sync with the local pc again. Is there a fix to get access to the local folder that shows up as an internet shortcut without having to sync all files again? I have >500 GB of images synced locally and according to disk utilization they are still there (somewhere) but the actual folder is replaced with the shortcut. I would like to avoid downloading everything again.

    Has anyone tried deleting the shortcut? Or unlinking the Onedrive account from the pc?

    Here's an update on my issue. The local folder containing approximately 600GB of images, now replaced with an internet shortcut, had been moved to the recycling bin on my PC (Windows 10). The files could easily be restored to another location on the disk (outside of the OneDrive folder).

    This is catastrophically handled by Microsoft, as they deleted my original files! Some might wonder why I synced the images to a shared folder and the reason is that I don't have enough space on the main account. The shared folder, which I own, belongs to the same Microsoft 365 Family plan. And no, this is not for backup purposes. I do have multiple other backups.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments