Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T23:39:18+00:00

    Inward art sale go to account info in there you have an option for updating to the latest version of office this needs to be done on all machines they're about four versions that are broke if you have an updated I have seen some machines take eight or nine times to update you need to reboot between each update. Also some people have both business and personal they need to make sure that the one that's in control of Everything Is the personal if the sending person is using the personal.

    Family office the update is the White Cloud is the old version of OneDrive standalone. Professional office is the blue cloud it is SharePoint OneDrive

    I share between the home and Business will always Resort in a shortcut into OneDrive and not a download of the folder as you want. All shortcuts have to be removed the file folder that includes the dent on it has to be moved out of the OneDrive 100% I create a folder at the root of C called OneDrive backup and I move the folder from the OneDrive into this folder on the C drive. I reboot both computers at this point. I go into the cloud or web version of Outlook and create the folder I want to share and do read write permissions and send it to the person that needs to get it they need to go to the shared folder in the web version and tell it to download at this point that machine will have to reboot before that download folder will show up download it. Once this is confirmed working on both ends you can move the contents of the folder into the shared folder do not change permissions just put it in there and file explorer from Windows it may take it 30 minutes to an hour to fully sink and be working the pending on the size in this situation I usually give it one hour for each gig of data as a minimum Do Not Go Changing permissions do not do anything with it until it gets through sinking the data on both sides trust the procedure it works.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T01:00:16+00:00

    the work around of creating another account has started to fail after windows update.

    it seems to be on purpose to stop this service for family members.

    this was still educated as a function for family plan members. things dont add up here.

    they have recently increased the price but not resolving such issues which are affecting people around the world.

    they probably know that you can't or had a hard time cancelling because you needed the office suite and the Onedrive storage of 1TB

    whats going on Microsoft, you can do better than this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T02:42:58+00:00

    Today (2/23/25) is the first time I have experienced the problem. There are threads of other people saying this has been issue since June 2024.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T02:48:52+00:00

    8 months later, is there a solution for this? Mine was working fine until last week. Now that all working folders have converted to internet links, I'm unable to save into them from apps - you can't save into an internet link.

    this is a fundamental problem with the way users want to use Onedrive and would surely prevent anyone that collaborates on folders from using this service.

    if I can't get the function back in the next 48 hours, I'll have to use a different cloud service.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments