Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T18:26:18+00:00

    TShame on Microsoft for taking too long to fix this. Time to abandon ship. Time to begin home hosting.

    Some tips for others considering the same:

    • I have a Mini PC at home, running Proxmox, which allows me to install multiple things on top
    • One installation is TrueNAS, linked to a large SSD inside the Mini PC
    • Another installation is Trilium Next, a note style application which is my Word replacement
    • Another installation is Grist, a spreadsheet style application, which is my Excel replacement
    • I obtained a "special copy" of Microsoft Office for when I need special functions (Trilum & Grist are not total replacements)
    • I use a free service called ZeroTier to access my home network when I'm not at home, there are lots of other ways to do this

    This does take effort to maintain so I understand this approach isn't for everyone, but the freedom is great.

    Combine this with the fact that mid last year Microsoft suspended my account and refused to tell me why, despite myself and my MP writing multiple letters to the UK executives of Microsoft. Only got it back after making a Subject Access Request, funny that isn't it? Microsoft can take away your account AT ANY TIME and WITHOUT NOTICE for ANY REASON THEY WANT. At least now I actually own my data.

    Now I can cancel my subscription and never look back. Everyone else should consider the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T18:54:52+00:00

    There are many tools that allow you to replicate what OneDrive does and they're required if you're trying to use OneDrive for business and one drive for home together Microsoft has intentionally not allowed this to continue one product is a $100 product per year the other product is a $300 product per year the person you're communicating with and you must be on the same product for this to work as I said before there are a few caveats that you have to do to get it to work but it has been working fine for about 6 months.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T19:01:37+00:00

    This has been fixed for a long time, except for people trying to do it across the two platforms. This was intentionally stopped by home users who use OneDrive business. The cloud is White to your clock. Users use one drive for SharePoint; the cloud is blue, and you cannot share folders; they are now entirely different systems between the two versions.

    You must remove the shortcut created on both computers, create the folder with read-write permissions, and reshare it as long as they're on the same version of OneDrive as you are. They can have the folder show up and local it file manager. I generally recommend people reboot at this point as soon as it is confirmed that it is working on both machines. You can move the folder's content back into it, and it will appear on the shared folder on the other computer. If you change the permissions of the root folder, it will become a shortcut on the receiving computer. And you must follow the steps above to fix it again. The contents in the folder can be read-only, but all folders you won't download must have read-right permissions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T19:53:00+00:00

    Hi,

    Can you please tell me if you have a resolution for this "bug"? I see these comments are from 9 months ago so I am hoping you have solution and are able to help me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments