Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T14:14:51+00:00

    Same issue here. Noticed it on Friday when all of a sudden OneDrive on macOS asked me to log in again. After logging in, the first thing I noticed was a new folder, which is a COPY of a shared folder I had access to, being uploaded to my account. Only later I saw the shared folder now being a URL link.

    I imagine that this conversion of a shared folder to a URL link caused a duplicate folder with everything I had locally downloaded to be uploaded again in a separate folder.

    On a different machine, with Windows 10, I also have now the shared folder being a URL.

    I was never super happy with OneDrive, now I know I can't even trust it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T14:46:22+00:00

    Workaround until fixed by microsoft . To uses a third-party software: cloud to folder/disk... I´m testing AirliveDrive , it could work for me...

    There are a few apps that could do that.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T14:56:59+00:00

    Just had the same thing happen to me on Feb 22, 2025. So frustrating!!! The folder has been on my app for years, now it's gone and only a URL remains.

    When will this be fixed ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T14:57:46+00:00

    Thanks for the instruction. If I understand you correctly, this is a fix to get (new) shared folders to sync with the local pc again. Is there a fix to get access to the local folder that shows up as an internet shortcut without having to sync all files again? I have >500 GB of images synced locally and according to disk utilization they are still there (somewhere) but the actual folder is replaced with the shortcut. I would like to avoid downloading everything again.

    Has anyone tried deleting the shortcut? Or unlinking the Onedrive account from the pc?

    By the way, a response from Microsoft would be appreciated. It’s clear that something went wrong on February 19-20, as there has been a storm of users complaining about this over the past few days.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments