Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T18:04:17+00:00

    I thought maybe Mac was immune, but today the folder changed to a URL WHILE I WAS WORKING ON A DOCUMENT. I went to save the document and it said it was no longer there. Went and looked and now my shared documents folder is a URL. Opened one drive and it was stuck spinning saying "processing 59,000 files". Looks like the processing it it removing local references to all of the shared files.

    THIS IS A **** DISASTER, MICROSOFT!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T18:09:54+00:00

    Sadly, based on how this is now rolling out to OneDrive for Mac, I suspect that this isn't a bug and that this is a feature change they are making, Please tell me I'm wrong.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T18:49:24+00:00

    One thought (hope) I had is that they may be equally breaking everyone so that they are on the same "page" and then deploy the fix accordingly. It's beyond wild they are breaking more accounts after the fact.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T18:55:04+00:00

    Looking at this more, this wasn't a Mac thing. This was a change that happened to my OneDrive account on both a Mac and PC at about the same time. So it's a backend thing and I don't think it's a bug. I think they are slowly rolling out this change. Microsoft you need to let us know if this is an intentional change or a bug, so that we can each decided what to do next. My set up for all of my family members relies on being able to have these folders available in the OS file system. This change is ruining that setup and making a mess on how my family works together on files.

    Please let users know what the hell is going on!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments