Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T13:09:13+00:00

    I have the same problem.

    I would suggest contacting Microsoft support through OneDrive (I did it through the online OneDrive website) and opening a support case. The more complaints they receive, the more likely the problem will get resolved.

    For what it's worth, I got the following response, which is not really encouraging given how long this has been a known issue:

    ======

    I apologize for the inconvenience this experience has caused and we appreciate you for reporting the issue with the OneDrive Shared folder redirecting to the web.

    Please be assured that our Engineering team is aware of this problem, as it has been reported by other users, and they're actively working on a resolution for everyone.

    While no action is required on your part, we may proceed to archive this case, as the fix when available, will be implemented through an update to your device.

    In the meantime, we recommend using OneDrive on the web as a workaround for accessing your shared folder files. You can access your files under the shared section through:

    1. Visit www.onedrive.com via a browser.
    2. Click the shared section
    3. Click shared with me

    We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate your patience while we address the issue.

    =======

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T15:07:41+00:00

    Just did a long chat with Microsoft support to show the problem. He finally told me this was a known issue and sent me a link so I can be advised when solved. Hope this will help. This is not fun.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T15:14:56+00:00

    Can you share the link?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-22T15:22:18+00:00

    Unfortunely it appeared like a pop-up and not a URL. I will try to see if I can find something.

    Here is the email confirmation I received (partially in french 😉)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments