Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-21T09:38:08+00:00

    This just started happening to me a few days ago on 19-FEB-2025 to a shared folder that I have had for years. This is under my fully updated Windows 11 Pro with the latest updates for 24H2.

    Suddenly, the shared folder turned into an internet shortcut. Deleting the shortcut, un-sharing it etc makes no difference.

    This is frustrating, because I cannot save files directly to the folder. When attempting to "save as" to the folder, Windows attempts to overwrite the shortcut with the file that it is trying to save.

    I see that the issue was reported in June 2024, but it is now February 2025. What kind of priority is Microsoft putting on it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-21T10:06:58+00:00

    This just started happening to me a few days ago on 19-FEB-2025 to a shared folder that I have had for years. This is under my fully updated Windows 11 Pro with the latest updates for 24H2.

    Suddenly, the shared folder turned into an internet shortcut. Deleting the shortcut, un-sharing it etc makes no difference.

    This is frustrating, because I cannot save files directly to the folder. When attempting to "save as" to the folder, Windows attempts to overwrite the shortcut with the file that it is trying to save.

    I see that the issue was reported in June 2024, but it is now February 2025. What kind of priority is Microsoft putting on it?

    Exactly no priority, they want you to buy the more expensive, useless business plan for OneDrive. This issue will probably never be fixed - I think Microsoft sees it as it's not an issue but a feature of the family plan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-21T10:14:45+00:00

    I'm one new target of this bug. Was fine for years, and suddenly, I saw this morning that my onedrive was "synchronizing" many files.

    I realized it was removing the shared folder content !

    @Microsoft : It's time to fix this ! This feature is REALLY useful !

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-21T11:48:26+00:00

    Seems that this problem has flared up YET AGAIN!All my shared folders changed to Browser links today...... pathetic. Maybe a serious time for me and my organizations to start considering alternative platforms.... this is ludicrous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments