Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-14T11:18:17+00:00

    Weird is that I got my Notebook to dust it off, and started updating softwares etc and noticed that my OneDrive in there has all my files as it should be, and my Desktop doesn't. Just a curious fact.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-14T14:52:39+00:00

    Mine didn't work at all. I'm seriously considering moving to Google Workspaces and bail out from onedrive. I was using microsoft almost my entire life, but i'm getting really tired of this inconsistency.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T11:00:13+00:00

    I'm using onedrive on my show production macbook. my Qlab projects as well as all the files are stored in onedrive (that saved me one time when i was on the other side of the world, and my hard drive decided to die on me).

    However, a couple of days ago, I had a show to run, and when i opened the project, all the files were marked as erased?!? empty project!!

    Shame to MS, this is damaging AF! I managed to save the show by downloading files localy, but FFS, this is not how you run a business!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-16T19:27:33+00:00

    Experiencing shared folders turning into links randomly as of today - on two different versions of one drive on my mac (store vs downloaded from microsoft's website). Happened overnight randomly. I have now to log out of my main one drive account to the other where the folders are located at because of this, majorly disrupting my workflow. Between this and Microsoft Outlook New not fetching emails it is getting to the last straw..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments