Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-09T16:38:43+00:00

    After almost 8 months, I would almost call it a miracle, but my shared folders are again available as regular Windows folders and are synchronised with OneDrive, so I can use them offline too. The joyful event 😊 took place yesterday, 8 February 2025!

    Let's hope the fix will eventually be rolled out ro all users/computers.

    Hi Jean,

    I have the same problem. How did you manage to fix it ? thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-11T21:16:53+00:00

    Yesterday, the shared folders sync suddenly started working again! 🎉

    I hadn't done anything special, but I noticed that OneDrive suddenly wanted to go through and check every single file I had synced. It took a couple of hours, and when it was done... boom! Internet shortcuts were gone and everything was working fine again!

    I'm currently running OneDrive build 25.010.0119.0002 (64-bit), so it could be related to this update?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-11T22:07:39+00:00

    La solución la obtuve encontrando cuál de las 6 cuentas que formaban parte del Plan Familiar Microsoft 365 era la que tenía problemas, y era la que tenía mi esposa, por lo que ella procedió a eliminar esa cuenta, creó una nueva que la vinculé con el Plan y las carpetas compartidas con ella funcionaron normalmente. O sea, el problema está al nivel de algunas cuentas que quedaron afectadas con alguna actualización de OneDrive.

    Por el último post publicado por el usuario HaraldEF parecería que ya solucionaron desde Microsoft el problema para esas cuentas afectadas. Sin embargo, aun si esto es cierto, fue un tiempo demasiado largo para que se atendieran las causas del problema.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-12T13:04:06+00:00

    I have the same problem now with my family O365 plan. A funny thing that one on a first time it worked, I was able as owner to share a folder and add it to the other members to their files. Later OneDrive started to synchronise it locally. But now after a week all files are gone and replaced by a link to online resource only. This is ridiculous to pay for such system, it's a joke rather. I cannot make it work again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments