Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T12:03:42+00:00

    ITS WORKING ON BUSSNIESS ACCOUNT OR NOT

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T12:36:52+00:00

    Same here. Win 11 - I have folders shared with me from ages ago that are proper folders locally, but when some shares any new folders all I get locally is a url shortcut! Makes it almost unusable - not what you expect when you are actually paying for a product!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T12:40:17+00:00

    And to make matters even worse, the short cut / folder shared with me is not visible on local Excel / Word etc. Seems you have to use cloud versions of apps from now on!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-07T12:51:06+00:00

    I have a paid for family O365 licence for which I have incomming shared folders from family memberswhich act as folders fine

    I have three other "normal" microsoft accounts which I share into my main onedrive

    Two of these work ok and share as a folder

    The third shares as a link

    What I hate most is the inconsistency

    Why would the third account not act the same as the other two?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments