Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-02T13:00:15+00:00

    I have no strong reason to believe this was what actually solved it for me, but it was fixed for me when I removed a user from my 365 Family and waited a few days before re-adding them. The delay could be significant (although I don't know for sure), because it didn't work when I only removed it for a few minutes. Also, some settings like the available storage capacity on OneDrive don't update immediately upon removing a user.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-02T19:44:38+00:00

    I just did a new test. I created a brand new Microsoft account with a new email address (a slight variation on the one which doesn't work). I did a share of a folder to my own account and it worked perfect, the folder shared correctly.

    I knew it was going to work, as the Menu you get when you share the folder is slightly different on the accounts which work to the account which doesn't work.

    Next test will be to see if I can now change email address on the old and new account and swap them over. If that works, I will be back to a working solution again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T19:32:09+00:00

    February 2025, the problem remains unresolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-03T19:44:25+00:00

    I'm cancelling the subscription this year, moving it all to NextCloud and some Synology NAS drives. The NAS is great as I can synchronise content with remote drives. Already moved to Libre Office, Linux on my laptop as the OS. I really so no need for MS products any more.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments