Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-29T23:27:08+00:00

    I really need a solution to this and I'm considering upgrading from a MS Home account to a MS Business account (not great...). Is anyone on an MS business account experiencing this issue?

    Is it simply a OneDrive to OneDrive share or is it a Sharepoint site that your files are living on?

    Anecdotally I have heard the same thing happening with MS 365 Business, however I don't know if the sharing sits within or outside Sharepoint in this instance.

    The one workaround I have used (with MS 365 Family) was to create a new OneDrive account and shared with that. To my knowledge, that workaround is still fine however there are reports in this thread of that workaround exhibiting the same issue after a couple of weeks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-29T23:42:02+00:00

    I really need a solution to this and I'm considering upgrading from a MS Home account to a MS Business account (not great...). Is anyone on an MS business account experiencing this issue?

    Is it simply a OneDrive to OneDrive share or is it a Sharepoint site that your files are living on?

    Someone else posted this above, so perhaps if budget allows it, Sharepoint is the way to go ...

    Though this simply fuels the "M$oft doing this on purpose to promote Business and Sharepoint" fire.

    Microsoft Office 365 business and Sharepoint do not have the same issue and work fine.Just a very expensive and complex route for Office 365 home and Family users to migrate to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T17:03:18+00:00

    Surprisingly, after 6 months, the problem solved itself. Without any action from my side. Folders that others share are easily available again through Windows Explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-30T17:22:50+00:00

    I'm starting to thing it's not a bug but it's made this way purposly.

    In my work account when I want to add shared folder to main One Drive folder there is a button with star symbol for this and it's says add this forlder to your favorites.

    Otherwise in my personal account there is button with folder with litle chain symbol(chain like url symbol) and it's says add this folder betwee nmy files as a shortcut.

    they just ****#ing us

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments