Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T21:09:09+00:00

    My experience was very similar. My account and three child accounts, but all are in my MS Family, and yet initially only one worked properly with sharing. A few weeks later one of the others suddenly started working and then another two weeks later the third one suddenly resolved. With the third one, I had unlinked it from 365 sharing for two days when it resolved (and then I relinked it), but I can't say whether that was coincidental or part of the fix. Removing a user from the 365 license immediately stops Office access but Onedrive capacity remained at 1TB for several days, so the change doesn't seem to be picked up by Onedrive immediately.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T08:55:49+00:00

    Update. It's not 5-6 months anymore. It happened again after EXACTLY TWO WEEKS on the new account that I used as a workaround. This is it, finally lost all patience with onedrive.

    I hope this happens to many more people so that microsoft loses as many customers as possible, sincerely.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T20:03:59+00:00

    Hi, I thought I did something wrong. Started using one drive to work on work share folders.

    Working fine for last 2 months suddenly 2 days back I noticed my one drive share folders been changed

    into url. I even re installed whole goddamn OS for this and nothing. Please Microsoft resolve this

    issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-22T21:03:49+00:00

    Good luck getting any sort of resolution to this. MS could seriously care less... Theres been issues for over 7months on this and still no resolution.

    Microsoft??? Anything? Care to chime in with at least a comment on the weather?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments