Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-20T14:11:41+00:00

    My 365 Family subscription has automatically repaired itself (such that links shared with family members now open in File Explorer) over the last few days, but incrementally for different accounts.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T12:01:01+00:00

    For anybody who is working on this, I found that logging in as 1 user on specific computer causes the issue, but then logging in as another "working" user on the same profile on the same computer works. In this case the working user works on a Mac and PC and the non-working user doesn't work on a Mac and the PC. The 2 users are members of the same family.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T12:37:06+00:00

    This f*cking isssue is still there, no update from Microsoft so far!🥵

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-21T19:48:33+00:00

    I have a Microsoft 365 Family subscription. For my account (main account) and 2 other accounts (with shared 365 access) then sharing is working perfectly ok with onedrive. Existing share work fine, and I can even setup new shares and they work fine.

    However, on the 3rd shared account I have the problem that this account can't share correctly and we just get the "Internet Shortcut" issue.

    I tried deleting this user from my Shared 365 account and re-adding, but that made no difference.

    The only thing I can see which is different, is the original 2 accounts are not part of "Microsoft Family members" and the latest account is part of my Microsoft Family. From what I can see, there is no way of sharing the 365 subscription with out being part of the "Microsoft Family" now.

    I have the option of inviting the 2 working accounts to join my "Microsoft family" but not sure I want to do this, if there is a chance it will break the onedrive sharing which is working correctly for this accounts currently!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments