Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-15T10:02:31+00:00

    After six Months, my recommendation is to move all your data to Dropbox... it's what i have done in order to keep working with the team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T07:34:28+00:00

    Hi. Is this problem resolved? Please assist. I've got the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-17T10:18:13+00:00

    No, we wait!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-19T22:37:16+00:00

    I'm pleased to report that the issue has suddenly fixed itself for me. I don't know whether it contributed to the resolution or not, but I stopped sharing my 365 subscription with my son for a couple of days and it sorted itself while he was not sharing it. As with my other children, the shared OneDrive link opened in a web browser as before but said "User Migrated". Upon deleting and add the shortcut again, it started opening in File Explorer. I've now re-linked him into my 365 family subscription.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments