Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T11:38:46+00:00

    I contacted MS support about this and after wasting a lot of time in a stupid text chat the outcome was that MS engineers are still working on this. From what I can see this roughly marks the 6 month point since this issue occurred.

    As a matter of interest I have one MS account for someone else and whenever they share a folder with me and I add a shortcut within about 30 seconds a folder appears in my onedrive. For other MS accounts sharing folders the URL appears so I believe the issue is tied to the account of the person creating the share.

    Geoffrey Brown, NZ.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T11:56:27+00:00

    Interestingly on my iphone running OneDrive the folders shared by other that have had a shorcut added to my OneDrive appear correctly as folders in all cases.

    This means that on a desktop where the OS is microsoft, the app is microsoft, the filesystem is microsoft they cannot get it to work for the last 6 months. On an iphone where it is just the app it does work.

    The situation is hopeless for it to be taking this long and the fact that microsoft seemed to break it with an update to their own onedrive is beyond hopeless - where was the testing.

    On another note I tried removing onedrive (recorded the version beforehand) and downloaded a version from end of Sep. After putting this on it deleted hundreds of files from various folders on my onedrive. All from different folders so could not be anything I did. Just clicked on the onedrive after installing older version and saw all the file deletes scrolling up.

    What a **** mess.

    Geoffrey Brown, NZ.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T12:22:47+00:00

    For me, OneDrive on iPhone opens the shares that are URLs correctly in the app, but for the shares that now work properly on Windows it says "Something went wrong". So the behaviour is the complete opposite between Apple and Windows.

    Also, I have mutual shares working correctly in both directions between me and one of my children's accounts, but other shares are not working in either direction between me and another child. So, for me, whether it works or not is more complex than who initiated the share.

    Another strange phenomenon is that some devices have recently started showing "Processing 50,000 changes" (i.e. every file I have on OneDrive) for about an hour so, which I can only assume is changing some ownership or permissions meta data on every file, since there have been no substantive changes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-01-01T15:20:51+00:00

    It still doesn't work. I even logged in to the account of the person who shares everything and, yes, the folders appeared, but I couldn't turn on autosave at all....

    Microsoft you ****!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments