Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-25T16:53:37+00:00

    I'm having the same issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-26T01:04:25+00:00

    To those of you fellow sufferers who are in dire need of a feasible workaround (until MS get their act together):

    Today I experimented with the command line tool rclone. It’s a versatile tool for mounting remote data sources and can also connect to Onedrive. It comes with an experimental (beta) „bisync“ option, which can bi-directionally synchronize remote and local folders. This finally became a temporary working solution for me!

    (Besides syncing, mounting the remote folder is also a technical possibility with rclone that I tested, but this comes with some trade-offs: rclone cannot pre-cache files and data transfer is rather slow - but it might be an option if you don‘t want to store the whole folder locally)

    These are the basic steps:

    1. setup rclone (copy into windows/system32)
    2. authorize it with your onedrive account (to access the shared folders, the .URLs need to be in place!)
    3. download your shared folder from the browser and copy it to your desired location (outside of your local Onedrive folder).
    4. set up the rclone „bisync“ command and schedule it to run periodically (in my case it takes 5min to complete with ~32GB and 46k files), so I schedule it to run every 15min.

    Result: you have a local copy that will be bi-directionally kept in sync with your shared folder, the only downside is that it takes a little bit longer for changes to show up (and that the complete folder is stored locally, in my case this is what I wanted).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-26T14:23:12+00:00

    Thank you for your reply,

    however, this is still not the solution we have been waiting for.... It is inconceivable that we are paying a lot of money for a service that does not work. De facto the most important functionality of the service Microsoft provides - it does not work. Working on local files does not work.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-28T09:33:58+00:00

    Hi, everyone - I've already reported the problem in another thread, but I'll repeat myself here too. We have tried everything and of course it doesn't work. We are using a macOS system.

    **** Microsoft hasn't lifted a finger in over six months. I report threads and they close it, claiming they are ‘WORKING ON THE PROBLEM’. What the ****.... Have been working for six months? Embarrassing company. Our company is planning a lawsuit against Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments