Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T18:27:16+00:00

    Hi,Tom Berray

    Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

     

    The OneDrive shared folder shortcuts issue you mentioned is a major issue that occurred recently. This issue might be related to a OneDrive cloud server issue. It was brought to the attention of the development team. They indicated that they take this issue very seriously. This is indeed a known issue that needs to be addressed urgently. Engineers are working around the clock to fix it. I sincerely hope you can be patient.

     

    Since the Microsoft community is only a community for technical discussions, I can't participate in development-related content, but I found the latest channel for users to submit reports and feedback on this issue opened by the OneDrive team:

    You can open the OneDrive mobile app, shake it, and click Report to send. You can take a screenshot of the problem you encountered and provide a detailed description to the OneDrive engineering team (or you can also send feedback about the problem through the OneDrive link (live.com)

    Image

    So that they can bring together different manifestations of the problem encountered in an effort to fully understand the full picture of the problem and provide a more complete solution.

    I will continue to follow up on the issue for you in this reply thread and share the latest progress of the issue with you as soon as possible.

     

    Best regards

    Cherry.Z- MSFT | Microsoft Community Support Specialist

    Is there any update when this will be fixed please, as the issue is still present 2 months later....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T17:07:19+00:00

    I've just encountered this same issue, having recently upgraded from 365 Personal to 365 Family. Previously, links shared between my computers opened in Windows Explorer, but overnight these have all turned into URLs that open in a browser instead, which is extremely irritating. I can't believe Microsoft have known about this for over 6 months and yet still not fixed it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-12-29T12:19:40+00:00

    Of course, no need to tell me that this doesn‘t fix the bug 😉

    I was just intending to share a workaround that might work for some. (The only other option anyway is to wait for MS, which wasn‘t too helpful for the last 6 months)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-28T09:33:58+00:00

    Hi, everyone - I've already reported the problem in another thread, but I'll repeat myself here too. We have tried everything and of course it doesn't work. We are using a macOS system.

    **** Microsoft hasn't lifted a finger in over six months. I report threads and they close it, claiming they are ‘WORKING ON THE PROBLEM’. What the ****.... Have been working for six months? Embarrassing company. Our company is planning a lawsuit against Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    9 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments