Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T12:41:42+00:00

    Not sure when, but in the past few days another one of my family accounts went bad.

    Previously it was sharing folders correctly, but on checking this morning, all folders shared from this one account are now showing as "Internet Shortcut".

    I was hoping that Microsoft were working in the background to "fix" the bad accounts, but it appears now they and making more "good" accounts "bad". This is very sad.

    Microsoft - Please sort it out! This situation is ridiculous.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T12:33:52+00:00

    8 months suffering the same problem, Microsoft sure takes its time to fix issues....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T11:37:10+00:00

    Indeed stoltzy this has got to be the worst Microsoft disaster I have ever seen. Truly remarkable how something so defective can be pushed to production and then take so long to address.

    To be certain this issue isn't install or machine-related, it's account-related. As you observed, you had an account that worked and worked everywhere, but then suddenly didn't and stopped working everywhere. This is what happened to a recent account to me this past week. 😭

    One thing I have noticed, however, is that I have two accounts that are non-live/outlook/hotmail address and they are both impacted. I have one outlook-based account and it has not been impacted.

    I am wondering if this is impacting non-outlook/hotmail addresses? 🤔

    I've just found that it works with .com but not with .co

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-23T10:20:12+00:00

    Hi, Good Day!

    This problem occurs again in my one drive. I experienced this just this afternoon Loal time.

    Please Help! thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments