Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:25:43+00:00

    This issue arose for several family accounts on Friday Feb 21, 2025.

    Microsoft - we need an update here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:20:44+00:00

    Same issue here, happened 5 hours ago in two different computers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:15:07+00:00

    Better yet, don't actually pay. Self host.

    Some tips for others considering self hosting:

    • I have a Mini PC at home, running Proxmox, which allows me to install multiple things on top
    • One installation is TrueNAS, linked to a large SSD inside the Mini PC
    • Another installation is Trilium Next, a note style application which is my Word replacement
    • Another installation is Grist, a spreadsheet style application, which is my Excel replacement
    • I obtained a "special copy" of Microsoft Office for when I need special functions (Trilum & Grist are not total replacements)
    • I use a free service called ZeroTier to access my home network when I'm not at home, there are lots of other ways to do thisThis does take effort to maintain so I understand this approach isn't for everyone, but the freedom is great.

    Combine this with the fact that mid last year Microsoft suspended my account and refused to tell me why, despite myself and my MP writing multiple letters to the UK executives of Microsoft. Only got it back after making a Subject Access Request, funny that isn't it? Microsoft can take away your account AT ANY TIME and WITHOUT NOTICE for ANY REASON THEY WANT. At least now I actually own my data.

    Now I can cancel my subscription and never look back. Everyone else should consider the same.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-02-24T18:01:18+00:00

    Everyone who is hit by this bug/issue please report it to Onedrive support.

    Without reporting it they will do nothing.

    More report, more pressure.

    Please say that you are not willing to pay for service does not work or is not trustworthy.

    Here are other threads with this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/shared-folders-on-onedrive-are-appearing-as-a-link/581e271b-6c49-47e3-84fb-5fbd69cbceca

    Spam MS Support. They will say that they know about this issue, but keep pushing them.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments