Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T04:26:19+00:00

    The problem has not been solved yet. Please, it is time to provide a definitive solution to the issue so that it works as before.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T03:33:16+00:00

    Same here, I pay 365 and extra storage but now I am very affected by this bug as two of my team members cannot work directly from the file Explorer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T20:15:16+00:00

    The same problem occurs for me and my wife. All worked well for many years. I am very surprised and dispointed that MS did not fix this problem after such a long time! Me and my wife share a lot of huge files, it is impossible to full use online solutions, this experience is too slow and our work make it impossible to have internet all the time.

    If the problem is not solved very soon, we will have too find another solution.

    Can someone at MS escalade this problem higher ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-08T19:55:22+00:00

    Friend, I have the same problem, my desktop did it but my laptop is still working as usual… I even bought a new hard drive and installed Windows 11 from scratch, I also reinstalled OneDrive and it didn’t solve it.

    So I tried a different approach: I downloaded Google Drive for PC and shared my folders on it, YES to Google Drive directly from OneDrive, so I created a shared link in file explorer to the Google Drive directory and VOILA! in file explorer I double click on the Google Drive icon and I can access there the OneDrive folders ... from file explorer, I can use my files as usual, save them, delete them, etc. and on my laptop, the one that never failed with OneDrive, I can see the changes I made perfectly normal and up to date.

    It’s like using Google Drive as an "interface" to deal with OneDrive, and it’s working!

    I think I’m buying some time for Microsoft to fix it… someday.

    If the problem persists in OneDrive, I will consider switching to Google Drive for good.

    I hope this works for you as it did for me.

    Best regards!

    Important note: If your files don't fit in the free version of Google Drive (it's only 15 gigabytes), you can share only the directories you use regularly, to keep it small, not all your content, and from time to time, when necessary, manually copy or move directories and files that you won't be using for a while, and bring in others that you need to work on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments