Folders Shared with me are syncing as internet shortcut in OneDrive on Windows PC

Anonymous
2024-06-08T04:53:55+00:00

Hi. I had some folders shared from different users in my OneDrive account. I had added the folders to my OneDrive with Add Shortcut to OneDrive button from Shared folders in cloud. The account is logged into a windows pc and every files including the folders shared with my were syncing fine until yesterday. Yesterday night the shared folders were completely removed from the Windows pc and folders are replaced with internet shortcut. This is such a big mess. I have tried unlinking the account and linking it back, changing the location of OneDrive on my windows pc and tried to get a new folder shared to my account and adding it to OneDrive. Nothing works so far. OneDrive has a big part in my daily activities. Please help me resolve this.

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2025-03-13T06:07:22+00:00

Here is the statement from the Microsoft OneDrive product group (Redmond USA) about the OneDrive Personal problem:

***This is related to a backend migration we are doing and unfortunately, we don’t fully support syncing shared folders in the case where one user has migrated and the other has not. We’re doing everything possible to accelerate things so that it can be resolved as soon as possible for users of the feature. When the accounts are migrated, there is automated logic that makes them go back to a syncing folder within several days.***I have heard, that shared Folder issue is gone.
The best thing is: WAIT and do nothing

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

3,079 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T13:18:19+00:00

    +1.

    Experiencing exact same issue.

    MacOS Sequoia, latest OneDrive.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T10:25:53+00:00

    Hi all, I observed the same behavior today, and I'm very disappointed, furthermore as a paying customer. OneDrive was one of my favorite MS product, this is by far the biggest dealbreaker (and I really don't want to search for nor try any manual solution for an issue that shouldn't be there in the first place).

    Dear MS teams, please INFORM your customers when you have such breaking changes coming and FIX THIS (well, you'll probably lose 3 customers anyway on my side since those changes are unacceptable).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T09:07:06+00:00

    Hello! It is March 2025 and I have encountered the same issue now (folders do not open on dektop, only in browser). What is the fix?

    Hi, there is no official fix from Microsoft.

    Some users report to have fixed by creating a new Microsoft account and then moving and sharing the data from the new account.

    However, this procedure isn't so quick and easy, and could be quite painful if the old Microsoft account is also your primary email address and/or you have linked other services such as Microsoft 365 or gaming licenses (I personally own a Flight Simulator license).

    What I did to solve the issue was to migrate to a different service.

    As I primary share data with my wife, and we both own an Apple account, I moved and shared the data to iCloud Drive.

    I guess this may work also with other services such as Mega.io, Box Drive, Dropbox or Google Drive.

    Kind regards,

    /alex

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2025-03-09T08:54:00+00:00

    We run a family account using 5 Microsoft users on Macs, iPhones and iPads.

    We share many files over these platforms, but we do not need all our files on each platform.

    For the last couple of years the OneDrive family account worked flawlessly for us in enabling sharing selected file structures to the platform on which we need it.

    Since a week the first Mac changed all links to url's, today the second PC was hit.

    Since I store thousands of photographs via OneDrive, which are managed by Adobe's Lightroom ALL LINKS are broken. The full catalog is destroyed.

    I see references to this issue going back to June 2024.

    As a former support employee at a global top 5 software company, such an issue would have brought us into a global escalation status with dayli reports to the board. I would imagine MSFT to have something similar, thus ensuring this to be solved rather sooner than later.

    That said, this taking already more than 8 months to resolve seems an indication MSFT has a major issue under the hood, probably somewhere deep down in the source software. I'm afraid they are now in need of rebuilding something from scratch that in the end should support all our shares as they were defined in the past. Tough challenge, not likely to happen on short notice. PLEASE SURPRISE US!

    Not sure what to do now, but the fastest solution seems migration to another solution alltogether. Do I want to? No. Do I need to? ...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments