OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2024-12-07T11:54:48+00:00

    The point is how do you get it to have the sync Icon and not the spinning wheel icon

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2024-12-07T19:55:01+00:00

    The point is how do you get it to have the sync Icon and not the spinning wheel icon

    Go into the Documents folder, find the files that are not syncing, and either delete them or remove them from OneDrive until you discover why those files cannot sync.

    OneDrive shows "This file can't be synced"

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-12-16T14:12:41+00:00

    So, in response to myself 10 days later... I might have solved it. At least for my particular instance.
    Every time my PC starts, I have to remember to open File Explorer and "Start" or Enable my OneDrive by clicking on it in the Address Bar where it will be greyed out as "Offline". After that, when I open any documents, the Auto-Save feature will be On/Enabled as expected, and I do not experience any of the problems I get by trying to enable Auto-Save through the open document directly.

    I have to remember to check my OneDrive in File Explorer every time my PC starts/reboots, though. My OneDrive used to automatically turn on when my PC booted. Just now, I checked my "Startup Apps", which you can search for in your Windows Search Bar, and it turns out my OneDrive was Disabled. I Enabled it, so it should turn on automatically whenever I restart the computer. With this setting fixed, hopefully I won't have to Enable it through File Explorer anymore.

    So search for and check your "Startup Apps" if you're still having this Auto-Save problem. Make sure OneDrive is Enabled. Otherwise, try Starting/Enabling your OneDrive in your File Explorer, BEFORE ever opening or editing your document. When you open the document, the Auto-Save feature should already be on and working. Hope that helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2024-12-16T20:45:26+00:00

    Thanks for the information. I always assume that people check to make sure OneDrive is syncing and up to date before working on a file. But maybe they don't check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments