OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-10-16T21:30:54+00:00

    Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

    This has started happening to me from last week, is there a virus spreading and creating these issues am finding it difficult to keep up as all my updated files suddenly have one name.

    Can someone who has changed this please revert to the old way of doing things My entire team is frustrated as it keeps changing the location of the file

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-10-17T06:03:43+00:00

    This is exactly what happened to me yesterday it took me 3 hours to uninstall One Drive, then Microsoft then reinstall it and when the problem still remained they said they are from the Microsoft team and now I have to approach the One Drive team, I did nothing but to reconnect the same way only for another operator to connect to me but the problem still persists.

    Autosave does not work the same way as before every time it creates a new file, funny part is it picks up the name of the user as the name of the file and tries to overwrite the same file the result is that none of my files are saved.

    So what is actually meant to be auto saved is now auto destruct!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-10-30T08:57:14+00:00

    Anyone find a solution ?

    I have the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2024-11-21T08:45:30+00:00

    "To ensure AutoSave is on as soon as you start editing, open your file by navigating to your OneDrive or SharePoint folder from within your Microsoft 365 app."

    "AutoSave only applies to Microsoft 365 files stored in OneDrive, but the Microsoft 365 AutoRecover feature is on by default and saves your work every 10 minutes."

    Source: How do I turn on AutoSave?

    I assume that means if you work with files in your Documents folder that is not backing up to OneDrive then Autosave does not apply. Turn on the backup of your Documents folder at Manage Backup so that your work gets autosaved every 10 minutes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-12-05T14:00:17+00:00

    Exact same thing is happening here.
    I'm an author and didn't realize a massive 240,000 word document I've been editing has not been being saved properly. When I turn on sync, it saves a new copy, and I have trouble finding that copy because I used to just be able to go to my Documents, Open, Edit, and it would auto-save to the cloud from there while I edit. It's like the new documents disappear into a void when I enable auto-save. Now I have to search for OneDrive in my computer first, to find what is hopefully the right document, which is annoying as heck. I can't check over 240,000 words every time to make sure everything is correct, so this is insane.
    I didn't realize how much this had been happening. When I finally found the location where my documents were being saved when I Enabled Auto-Save again, I found a trove of repeat documents I had kept trying to Auto-Save but couldn't find where they would normally upload. I'm beyond livid.
    I think the difference here for me is that I really had trouble finding where these "new" repeat documents were being saved, and I had given in to manually saving new documents to my PC, which has created a lot of confusion... I don't know which is the real document anymore, since I likely made mistakes along the way. I'm glad I have Atticus for authors. I paid once for their application and cloud service, and so I think I will just migrate everything to there and leave Microsoft365.

    edit: Literally after I posted this, my "disappeared" documents (which are all slightly different repeats of each other, because of the Auto-Save being off by default) are appearing in my Documents folder now. I must've done something after getting frustrated for the past couple of months, but I don't know what. I don't know if the problem will be fixed from now on... time will tell, so I'll give it a go a bit longer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments