OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T14:48:47+00:00

    This issue now seems to be a known bug with Basic Microsoft 365 subscribers and it is being worked on (according to technical help chat) - higher tier subscribers don't have this issue, so either wait a few week for an update or pay for a higher tier subscription. It would be interesting to see if all on this thread were basic 365 subscribers?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T15:33:04+00:00

    Few hours ago I contacted the tech support and one of the staff tried to help me updating the latest office through remote control assistance.

    He told me this issue is being worked on with the team and hopefully they can release some statement after all getting fixed.

    He didnt tell me the issue is fixed already but to my surprise, now my office seems to work just fine with my autosave function automatically turned back on.

    Let's see if this is not just some random miracle for a day or two.

    For all of you who has the same issue as me, i recommend to get into contact with their staff and let them do the remote assistance.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-10T15:04:27+00:00

    Actually, I tried to save a document today and guess what? Auto save function was turned off.

    I guess my luck lasted for a day only.

    Pls microsoft team fix this asap!

    Back to manually save document before closing office now...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-29T14:47:54+00:00

    Quite same story here in our tenant. Recently migrated last batch of 150 users on total of 200 users to 365. Not sure whether issue/bug is new or was there for a longer period of time, but as majority of recently joined (150+) users are more 'active' on .xlsx, .docx and .pptx only by now these issues reached my inbox.

    I'm currently in a support-ticket with Microsoft so will post progress in this topic as well FYI, but untill now no progress made: will set-up a VM to replicate the issue for them to screenrecord steps for their technical-dept.

    Scenario described step-by-step here:

      • Office files (docX, xlsX, pptX) are stored within a Teams channel
      • Channel is linked as shortcut to Onedrive
      • Onedrive is installed+linked to local drive
    1. When opening a xlsX file straight from Explorer > Onedrive, the file opens in local Excel app with AutoSave INACTIVE.
    2. When opening that same file from within Teams (New) Desktop App, the file opens in local Excel app with AutoSave ON.
    3. In our org lots and lots of duplicate Office files are arising, as staff primarily uses local Onedrive/Explorer to navigate through their files.
    4. As such, they know they have to enable AutoSave, but as such the unaware create for each handled file a duplicate file in their Onedrive store instead on the original Teams Channel.
    5. Workaround for now is alert staff to open files from Teams in their local Office Desktop app to avoid mistakes.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments