OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T00:46:05+00:00

    Hi ChadWitz Actually, that's an expected behavior for the scenario you described. Auto Save function does not support the .doc files. Instead you should use .docx. Once you open a .doc file, the auto save will be disabled by default, if you click on the auto save button trying to enable it. You should receive this prompt window:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/enabling-autosave-creates-duplicate-files/11a27472-d10d-47e4-a0dc-70ea640fa650">https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/enabling-autosave-creates-duplicate-files/11a27472-d10d-47e4-a0dc-70ea640fa650

    By clicking it, you are uploading a new copy of your file to the OneDrive, as work.doc already exist in the OneDrive, the new copy will be renamed. So, to avoid this kind of issue, please use .docx format for your Word document. If you are already using the .docx, yet still have this problem. Please go to your OneDrive settings > Office, make sure the option below is enabled: Image Regards,

    Hi M Coll 22, Actually, that's an expected behavior for the scenario you described. Auto Save function does not support the .doc files. Instead you should use .docx. Once you open a .doc file, the auto save will be disabled by default, if you click on the auto save button trying to enable it. You should receive this prompt window: Image By clicking it, you are uploading a new copy of your file to the OneDrive, as work.doc already exist in the OneDrive, the new copy will be renamed. So, to avoid this kind of issue, please use .docx format for your Word document. If you are already using the .docx, yet still have this problem. Please go to your OneDrive settings > Office, make sure the option below is enabled:

    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/enabling-autosave-creates-duplicate-files/11a27472-d10d-47e4-a0dc-70ea640fa650

    Regards, Shannah

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T01:10:14+00:00

    I'm not using .doc. All of my files are .docx.

    You then said "Please go to your OneDrive settings > Office, make sure the option below is enabled:". I'm not seeing >Office anywhere. When i click on One Drive Settings, I'm only seeing 4 Options to choose on the left. 1) Sync and Backup 2) Account 3) Notifications 4) About.

    Where is Office?

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T12:09:16+00:00

    could you please try to Please right click OneDrive icon on the tray, go to settings, find the Sync conflicts option under Office tab, you can choose "Let me choose to merge changes or keep both copies", if there are sync conflicts, OneDrive will warn the users when syncing the folder.

    Image

    Also, please try the follow steps.

    1.Unlink OneDrive from your computer.

    2.Add your account (a restart in between might help).

    3.Choose another/different location for OneDrive to be on your drive. For your reference: Change the location of your OneDrive folder

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-the-location-of-your-onedrive-folder-f386fb81-1461-40a7-be2c-712676b2c4ae

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-25T23:30:12+00:00

    I don't think you're understanding my issue. In my last response I said that there is no Office tab. When I go to OneDrive Settings, there is nothing that says "Office". See the picture that I pasted in my last response. I'm using Windows 11 if that makes a difference.

    I've also done your steps 1-3 multiple times. I've completely removed 365 from my entire computer and reinstalled it all. I've changed the location for OneDrive as well. I put it in a completely different folder.

    I've read dozens of the same type of issues in forums online. Most people just suggested to manually save my documents when I make changes(rather than using AutoSave). By saving it manually, it'll save that active document on my PC (instead of creating a new one in a different folder.....ie: OneDrive/Documents) as well as save it in the OneDrive Cloud since my PC and OneDrive is synced.

    I've found no other solution to making it so that AutoSave is automatically on for every document, and that it overwrites the active document rather than making a different copy in a different location.

    AutoSave works perfectly fine on my phone when I make changes. As soon as I make a change on mobile, it immediately overwrites the current document. It used to work like that on my PC.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2024-03-25T23:58:05+00:00

    So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes

    The new file (the changed version) is what you want, isn't it? Your work is saved and thankfully you don't need to start over each time. Both versions are in OneDrive.

    OneDrive\Documents is the syncing system folder when Documents syncing is toggled on at Manage Backup. OneDrive\Other\Recipes is not in the Documents folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments