OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-06T09:37:43+00:00

    I am having the same issue too.

    Can someone help??

    I cant afford to work on something and have to save it under multiples of files just because autosave isnt working properly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T16:03:11+00:00

    Same behaviour here too, seems to have occurred since a recent update. Uninstalling OneDrive and Office 365 and reinstalling again, but does not resolve the issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-05T03:38:31+00:00

    I'm having the same issue just today.

    When I open a file from OneDrive it opens with autosave off, when I click it to turn on it needs to be uploaded, this is after opening it from onedirve, it then creates a new copy on onedrive File(1).xlsx

    If I close Excel and open the new file (File(1).xlsx) it opens and has auto save off, turn it on and the problem repeats and it creates File(1)(1).xlsx

    This has only just started happening from today and is annoying as heck!

    Used to open from OneDrive folder, work on file and auto save would simple update the file I'm working on, now its gone crazy!

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-03-27T09:17:43+00:00

    Hi Chad, Unfortunately with the version of 365 you have or on your particular device there is a glitch or bug where you have to manually select auto save. I understand your frustration but it seems like there is no resolution. I hope we could have helped. Please leave positive feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Craig Long 18,635 Reputation points
    2024-03-26T00:28:26+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments