OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2024-04-09T12:10:43+00:00

    This is the latest reply from Onedrive support:

    We checked with our resources regarding this matter, and it seems that the issue is with MS Office's Autosave feature. If there is any kind of bug with Autosave feature, our MS 365 and Office team would be the right department to reach out to.  To connect with them, please refer to the steps mentioned below:

    1. Please visit:  https://support.microsoft.com/contactus and click on ' Open Get Help', this will open new tab with more information.
    2. Type MS Office then select "Get help" and then "Contact support".
    3. Select options from drop down menu "Microsoft 365 and Office" and "Technical support".
    4. You will get options to chat or call as per your region.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T22:27:34+00:00

    Well if enough people are having the same issue hopefully it will be fixed and I won't waste time with chasing support.

    Oddest thing is though I linked my personal account to OneDrive on the same computer and its working as it always did, opens the file, doesn't download and auto save works as it always had. Both accounts have exactly the same settings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-04-08T15:52:39+00:00

    I'm having the exact same problem since the latest update - any file in my OneDrive folder used to sync and autosave no problem, now this bug has appeared from around last week - Microsoft refuse to acknowledge the issue and support are no help (I've been through all the fixes suggested) - OneDrive support team keep sending me to office support team who then send me back to one drive support - I give up!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-04-06T17:28:09+00:00

    That's the problem. They changed it so that AutoSave creates the new file. That's how it's "supposed" to work now, and they think it's helpful. I've yet to find one person who likes this new change.

    I'd suggest don't even use AutoSave anymore. Just manually save the file each time you've make changes. If you have your Desktop synced to your OneDrive, the file in OneDrive will sync too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-04-06T17:25:00+00:00

    Exactly same as me. They somehow think it's better to save a new file in a different folder. That's absurd.

    There is NO reason to create a 2nd file because there is the ability to go to previous versions if you made a mistake and want to go back. If they wanted to create a new file though(for some dumb reason), your current file should be the one that gets updated and remain in the same folder. The "old" copy of that file should be put somewhere else. That way we don't have to go to the Documents folder and grab the newer updated file and drag it into the correct folder and replace the old copy.

    I don't even use AutoSave anymore. Just manually save it from now on.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments