OneDrive AutoSave isn't working, and it's creating new files instead of saving over my original file.

Anonymous
2024-03-25T00:08:24+00:00

For years I've been using OneDrive and whenever I open a file on my PC, "AutoSave" is automatically turned on. And when I make changes to my document, that specific file gets updated.

But for some reason, yesterday that changed. Now "AutoSave" is turned off by default. And when I turn it on, it tells me that I need to upload it to OneDrive. When i click OK, it creates a NEW file in OneDrive/Documents folder. The original file that I opened in (for example) OneDrive\Other\Recipes never got changed. So now I have 2 files. One is in OneDrive/Documents (the changed version) and the unchanged version is in OneDrive\Other\Recipes.

It works perfectly fine on my mobile app. When i open my document in OneDrive\Other\Recipes, it automatically saves changes as I modify the document. And it overwrites the original file. It doesn't create a NEW file in the OneDrive/Documents folder. That is what my PC did for years, up until yesterday.

I've removed and reinstalled OneDrive. That didnt help.

I've reset Onedrive. That didn't help.

My "AutoSave by Default" box is checked in Options/Save in Excel and Word.

Can someone please help me figure out how to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | OneDrive | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2024-08-21T14:42:22+00:00

    Same issue here. If you open the file from the local onedrive folder it doesnt turn on the autosave and you can not collaborate with team members as well. Alternative option is to open the same file by going to OneDrive on the browser and open the file on App from the browser than functionality works. Important bug. Happened after final update-Needs immediate fix.

    Yes, I am having the same issue! As well as many others in my workplace. It even gives me the error message in the attached image when I attempt to open files in my OneDrive folder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2024-07-25T06:43:27+00:00

    Thank You Cedric, but my problem is I am not able to do the steps outlined by you. I am a very basic user and don't know how to create a 32 Bit D Word, etc. Etc. Is there a simpler solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2024-06-21T11:43:44+00:00

    for those still having the issue- are you running Symantec (Broadcom) antivirus with Data Loss Prevention (DLP)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2024-05-09T16:08:36+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2024-05-03T21:17:17+00:00

    Out of nowhere, it's now working. Microsoft must have realized it was a bug and fixed it on an update. Now all my files are automatically set to AutoSave and it doesn't create a duplicate file in the Documents folder anymore.

    It's frustrating the the support people at Microsoft kept saying it was normal for Autosave to create a duplicate file instead of overwriting the existing file in the same location. I've been using it for years and it never did that. Now all of a sudden it's working again.

    I hope everyone else's problem is also fixed too!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments